Monday, October 25, 2010

Butternut Squash Cupcakes






Even though I am allergic to the cold, I love this season for two reasons: boots of course!, and squash season. I love the cinnamon-y smell in the air and and I love the pumpkin pie, pumpkin lattes and smoothies, squash soup..ahh yes hello fall.



Anyhow, so since I love butternut, I asked myself why I'd never tried to make butternut squash cupcakes. I have had these on my mind now for about 3 weeks and finally got around to making them earlier tonight. The reason it took so long was because I could not find canned butternut puree anywhere! I have seen it the past two years at Trader Joe's and was so bummed to find out that they stopped carrying it this season. I searched a few more stores around and no luck. So finally I decided to just buy some butternut squash and puree it myself. I'll admit, I was just being lazy. :/

here is a pic of the butternut squash I picked up from the farmers market:
mmm. butternut squash is so delish...can't wait to make soup out of the other one!


ingredients:

I cut the butternut squash in half and put a few slices of butter and a few dashes of brown sugar on it. I put it on broil for a bit, but after I left it cool and sampled it I found it was definitely not cooked yet. So I scooped it out threw on a little more butter and brown sugar let it cook for a bit longer. I added a little water to the mix and pureed it until smooth. I sampled it and then I couldn't stop.

And tah dah here it is!


The cupcakes turned out nice and moist and had a nice brown color to them...I love how you can see the spices in the cake! I of course tested one sans frosting and it was good. It was not quite a muffin but you could definitely eat these guys plain without frosting. Next time I make this (prob for halloween and thanksgiving!) I am going to cut down on the sugar I used. It was slightly too sweet for my liking and probably due to the fact that I generously sprinkled some on the squash. I wanted to frost these little guys with marshmallow frosting but was too tired to whip some up so I frosted with cream cheese frosting and we will see what the panel thinks tomorrow! ;)




thanks for reading :)

xo,

treen

No comments:

Post a Comment