Gosh, I can’t believe how long it’s been since my last blog. Well life’s just been really crazy but I promise I’ll be good about blogging! Anyhow, just wanted to warn you all too that since it’s been a while, I’m going to be posting a whole bunch of things to fill in the gaps from the last few months. J Anyhow, what I wanted to write about today (or right now since I plan on posting all day today) is my bake sale.
This Month on July 15 from 7am – 2pm, I’ll be hosting (for the third year!) a bake sale at my church. I am really excited to work with the community to aid Share our Strength in their mission to combat childhood hunger in America by 2015. Share our strength is a national organization that is dedicated to help end childhood hunger by working with a network of community groups, activists, and food programs to catch children who are struggling with hunger and surround them with nutritious food where they live, learn and play.
· More than 50 million Americans struggle to put food on the table.
· More than 16 million of those affected are children - That's 1 in 5 kids in America.
· 21 million kids receive free or reduced lunch, yet only 3 million get summer meals.
· Children who struggle with hunger are sick more often, recover more slowly and are more likely to be hospitalized.
· Children who face hunger are more susceptible to obesity and its harmful health consequences as children and as adults.
· Lack of enough nutritious food impairs a child's ability to concentrate and perform well in school.
· Teens who regularly do not get enough to eat are more likely to be suspended from school and have difficulty getting along with other kids.
These are just a few alarming facts, so please be sure to check out Share our Strength for more information, ways to help support their efforts.
Last year, with the support of our family, friends, and church community, we were a ble to reach our goal of $1500 (!!!!!). We had a huge variety of baked goods - there was something for everyone! You can read and see pics from last year here. This year I've set out a goal of $1500, and I know we can reach this with all of your support!
Funds raised by the bake sale will help accomlish the following:
· Enroll more eligible kids in school breakfast, after-school snacks and meals, and their families in SNAP (Food Stamps)
· Bring community gardens and farmers markets to low-income neighborhoods.
· Bring affordable, fresh fruits and veggies to urban corner stores.
· Help local food pantries, food banks, and soup kitchens meet the pressing demand for more nutritious food.
· Increase awareness and understanding of childhood hunger and solutions to it.
· Teach at-risk families how to plan, shop for, and prepare healthy low-cost meals at home. (this bullet point is especially important to me, as I teach the nutrition lesson for some of the classes in the area J )
So please please come out on July 15th from 7am-2pm at All Saints Church in Hayward to purchase yummy treats! Also, if you are able to donate your time or baked goods, I would greatly appreciate it. J If you are interested in baking, please contact me at email@example.com. Thank you for reading and hope you can make it!