Have you ever checked out my blog and wished you could just grab a cupcake right off the screen? Well if you said yes, please read on to learn about how you can feed you sweet tooth while helping aid chidhood hunger in America.
Share our Strenghth is a national organization that is dedicated to help end childhood hunger by 2015. They work with a network of community groups, activists and food programs to catch children who are struggling with hunger and surround them with nutritious food where they live, learn and play.
Do you know?
- More than 50 million Americans struggle to put food on the table
- More than 17 million of those affected are children? - That's 1 in 4 kids in America
- 19 million kids recieve free or reduced lunch, and only 9.4 million get free or reduced breakfast
- Children who struggle with hunger are sick more often, recover more slowly and are more likely to be hospitalized.
- Children who face hunger are more susceptible to obesity and its harmful health consequences as children and as adults.
- Lack of enough nutritious food impairs a child's ability to concentrate and perform well in school.
- Teens who regulary do not get enough to eat are more likey to be suspended from school and have difficulty getting along with other kids.
Last year was my first year organizing and setting up a bake sale, and I could not have done it without the support of my church, All Saints. Last year we raised over $1000 which was a great success! We had a huge variety of baked goods - there was something for everyone! You can read and see pics from last year here. This year I've set our goal at $1500! I know we can reach this with all of your support!
Funds raised by the bake sale will help accomlish the following:
- Enroll more eligible kids in school breakfast, after-school snacks and meals, and their families in SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Bring community gardens and farmers markets to low-income neighborhoods.
- Bring affordable, fresh fruits and veggies to urban corner stores.
- Teach at-risk families how to plan, shop for, and prepare healthy low-cost meals at home.
- Help local food pantries, food banks, and soup kitchens meet the pressing demand for more nutritious food.
- Increase awareness and understanding of childhood hunger and solutions to it.
If you are interested in baking, please contact me at email@example.com
Thanks for reading!